Sweeten up your morning with this Buttermilk French toast recipe with Challah Bread that we created just for you! The toppings are endless and the love is infinite for these fluffy slices of heaven.
Whether you're feeding your family, your partner, or just cooking for you this Valentine's Day - treat someone with this delicious breakfast! The thick slices make this Challah French toast a perfect base for all types of toppings. We made a delicious mixed berry compote to go on top with our Vanilla Almond Quinoa Homestyle Granola but maple syrup, peanut butter, or honey would be amazing as well! The topportunities are endless!
Buttermilk French Toast with Challah Bread Recipe
French Toast Ingredients
- 1 Challah French loaf dried and cut into 3/4" slices
- 1 1/2 cups of well-shaken buttermilk
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 Tbs sugar (we used evaporated cane sugar)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 4 Tbs butter for griddle
- A dash of salt
- Vanilla Almond Quinoa Homestyle Granola
French Toast Instructions
- Whisk eggs, buttermilk, vanilla, nutmeg, sugar, and salt in bowl until well mixed
- Pour mixture into baking sheet, and then add bread in a single layer. Turn occasionally until bread is soaked, yet retains its shape (about 15-20 min)
- Melt 2 Tbs on a non-stick electric griddle over med-high heat
- Transfer soaked bread slices onto griddle and cook for 3-4 minutes, turning until puffed and golden brown
- Top with Vanilla Almond Homestyle Granola clusters and warm berry compote
Berry Compote Ingredients
- 2 Tbs sugar
- 6 cups frozen mixed berries
- 1 Tbs fresh lemon juice
- 4 Tbs unsalted butter
Berry Compote Instructions
- Combine sugar, butter, and lemon juice in a small sauce pan until sugar dissolves and butter melts
- Add frozen berries. Cook tossing gently for approx. 2-3 minutes
Nutrition (per 2 slice serving): 414 calories, 17g protein, 61g carbohydrates, 2.6g fiber, 9.5g sugars, 11.3g fat, 5.4g sat fat.
What are some of your favorite ways to spend Valentine's Day? Do you go out or just stay in?
Leave a comment or tag us on our social sites using #erinbakers - we love it when we've inspired you!