You’re going to go cocoa-nuts for this delightful Girl Scout Cookie DIY recipe!
Girl Scout Cookies have created quite the following, but sadly they’re only available for a couple months out of the year. Look no further than this delicious do-it-yourself recipe to keep your cravings at bay with a satisfied sweet tooth. These Samoas are a delicious dessert, kid friendly, and to sweeten the deal you can freeze the leftovers. My favorite part about DIY recipes is that you can tweak the ingredients to suit your dietary needs.
When thinking about desserts, health benefits probably don’t come to mind, but when you mindfully select ingredients you’re able to choose food that can have a positive impact on your body. Erin Baker’s Ancient Grain Granola can be an excellent way to incorporate superfoods into your diet without compromising taste. Chia seeds contain a considerable amount of fiber, calcium, phosphorus, and iron. On the other hand, flax seeds are comprised of substantial amounts of manganese, copper, and potassium. Both types of seeds are a great source of omega-3 fats and protein.₁ It’s awesome to know that something so small can provide such great health benefits!
This recipe may seem complicated at first, but we’ve broken the recipe out into simple steps that are each very easy and quick. Plus you’re going to love how it tastes, so making this recipe is definitely worth the effort.
Copycat Vegan Samoa Granola Bars Recipe
Ingredients Needed for Steps Listed Out Below:
- Erin Baker’s Coconut Chia Granola
- Ground flax meal
- Coconut Oil
- Brown Sugar
- Coconut Flour
- Coconut Milk
- Chocolate Chips
- Coconut Flakes
- Granola Bar
- Vegan Caramel Sauce
- Chocolate Layer
- Caramel Layer
- Add Coconut to Caramel Layer
- Chocolate Drizzle
Granola Bar Step
- 2 cups Erin Baker’s Coconut Chia Granola
- 2 flax vegan eggs (2 tbsp ground flax meal & 5 tbsp water)
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- Make flax eggs by combining 2 tbsp ground flax to 5 tbsp water in a mixing bowl. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of granola, ½ tsp salt, ¼ cup brown sugar, & ¼ cup coconut flour into a food processor and pulse until mixed well.
- Add room temperature coconut oil and flax eggs to granola mixture. Mix.
- Spread the mixture evenly on a 13x9 lined baking sheet.
- Score with a spatula to make it easier to separate the bars later.
- Bake 15-18 minutes at 350⁰F.
- Allow to cool then separate bars. Refrigerate for 10+ minutes.
Vegan Caramel Sauce Step
Recipe by Jessica in the Kitchen
Photo Credit: Jessica in the Kitchen
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk (from the can) - the thick white part
- ¾ cup brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla (optional)
- Mix all ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 20 minutes or until caramel has thickened.
- Remove from heat. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Place in a bowl and refrigerate for 20-30 minutes. Sauce will thicken in the fridge.
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Melt chocolate chips in a double boiler or pan at low heat.
- Use about ¾ of the chocolate to dip/ spread a layer on one side of all granola bars (set the remaining chocolate aside).
- Cool the dipped granola bars in refrigerator for 10 minutes to allow chocolate to set.
- Remove caramel from refrigerator.
- Measure about 1/3 cup of caramel (set aside the rest).
- Spread a thin layer of caramel on each granola bar, opposite side of chocolate layer. Only a thin layer is needed - this is the glue for the next step!
Add Coconut to Caramel Layer
- Toast 1 ½ cup coconut flakes in the oven at 325⁰F until lightly browned.
- Combine remaining caramel sauce with the toasted coconut flakes.
- Apply coconut mixture on top of already applied thin caramel layer.
- Refrigerate bars for 5-10 minutes to set layer.
- Reheat remaining chocolate. Apply a drizzle over the caramel coconut layer of each bar.
Keep Samoa Granola Bars refrigerated and enjoy within 2 weeks.
Although this recipe seems lengthy upon first glance, each step is relatively quick and helps to establish delicious layers to your Samoa Bars! It’s possible to take this customization even further by choosing a different Erin Baker’s Granola flavor or by adding additional toppings. My favorite part about these DIY Samoas is the fact that they are vegan! It’s so cool that you can make vegan eggs simply by allowing ground flax meal to soak in water for 5 minutes.
Is this recipe better than the original Girl Scout Cookies? You will just have to give it a try and let us know in the comments!
Retail Customer Service | Erin Baker's